Monday, October 1, 2007

Machine Guns and Relationships.

It's come to my recent attention that people in relationships can be somewhat loosely compared to people in a war zone getting shot at.

When a solider is on the battlefield for the first time, they find out certain interesting things about themselves. One of these things, I'm sure, is how that person deals with the knowledge that they could, at any moment, suffer intangible amounts of excruciating pain while trying desperately to stop various fluids and other important parts of their anatomy from making its way to the outside world. In my opinion, you pretty much have three ways this can go.

1. The person genuinely doesn't care or get phased by this and, with an impressive display of indifference, treats it in the same manner that someone might treat the possibility of getting into a fatal car accident every time they hop in their car and drive to work. It's simply not worth worrying about. They go home with a chest full of medals or a chest full of metal, nothing in between.

2. The person does care and is phased, but with an impressive display of self control they master this fear and continue to function at a pretty much normal level. They tend to be a little more careful and take less risks due to the fact that they are not quite comfortable with the idea of a screaming death. Shit gets done in an orderly fashion but the results and risk factors involved aren't as high.

3. The person does care, is phased, and, with an impressive display of an utter lack of self control, simply loses their fucking mind and becomes a gibbering wreck. They become that asshole from Saving Private Ryan. They are pretty much useless on the battlefield. They are so preoccupied with fear that they cant concentrate on anything else.

Every relationship has a varying level of emotional and monetary chips being placed on the table by the participants. For those that have gone "all in" for the first time, they are suddenly faced with the realization that, like all other gambles, they could lose. When the results of losing are done being absorbed, they have a choice... Are they going to be someone in category one, two, or three?

4 comments:

KrenyB said...

I believe the only way to ever truly enjoy life is with an open heart and mind. That's not to say I shouldn't acknowledge the possible pain and misery that may come my way. As I go into my second year of marrage, and my second child I have learned, loved, and experienced so much pleasure. That even if we end our relationship, I'd do it all over again. The good times will always stand out over the bad. Optimism is such a beautiful thing.

I've tried #3 and it is a very gray and unfulfilling way to go about life. I felt if I dug myself a nice little hole that no one could find me or hurt me. Did that trench deep enough and there is no pain or pleasure to be had. What a dull fucking person I was for so many years.

The asians were onto something with yin/yang. Finding the right balance of pleasure and the ensuing pain I can tolerate is one of my life's projects.

Pretty good for your first blog Sub. I used to write all this kind of shit down in journals before blogs were around, so I'm always interested in reading other peoples life thoughts. Keep it up my friend.

KrenyB said...

Edit* "I've tried #2". Proofreading after posting ftl.

Aaron said...

"Sub"? Ok, we're not in-game here, his name is Kevin, dammit. (Kidding, I have enough friends that are WoW'ers I've learned to tolerate such WoW-isms). I still think you should put the music video for the old 80's song, "Love is a battledfield" into this blog. Great first blog man, I hope you get bored enough to post a few more..... Check out the aim away message that the socially inept supposed virgin left me:
Taking a Shower:-)

I Miss you Aaron.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggghhhh!! What the fuck have I gotten myself into! Help!

KPW said...

Is that Trampo? :) Thanks for the comment.