Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Driving in the rain...

It doesn't rain much in Tucson but when it does a few factors are always the same.

1. The entire town smells like wet dog.
2. Everyone bitches endlessly about how nobody but themselves is capable of driving in the rain.

It occurred to me that if every single person you talk to is bitching about someone other than themselves being unable to drive in the rain... where are these shitty drivers at? Why cant just one person I talk to be like "Damn, I hate driving in the rain... I just lose my shit and don't know what to do." I don't bitch about others not being able to drive in the rain so naturally I had the sudden fear that maybe I was one of those sons of bitches everybody seems so pissed at. I decided to pay close attention to my driving habits when driving in rainy conditions. This is what I discovered.

1. I tend to give myself larger breaking distance than normal.
2. I tend to drive the actual speed limit rather than the obligatory 5mph above it.
3. I tend to take corners just a little slower to avoid any potential slippage.

So yes, I'm one of the assholes. It turns out that "knowing how to drive in the rain" actually more accurately means "knowing how to not give two shits that it's raining".

So whenever you see a wreck on the side of a rainy Tucson road... just rest assured... that guy knew exactly how to drive in the rain and has hence proven it.

1 comment:

Aaron said...

This is a slightly tangential topic, but road-rage has long been a big pet peeve of mine. I say to road ragers everywhere: The people in the other car can't hear you screaming. I however, am sitting right next to you, and you're hurting my fucking ears. Please stop this madness.

Love the ending statement, Kevin.